Home » Family Based » Preference Relative

Preference Relative of U.S. Citizen – Green Card Holder

Individuals may qualify for a green card through a relative if they fall within
one of the preference categories listed below. However, depending on the demand,
these individuals will most likely have to wait in line, possibly for many years,
prior to being able to obtain a green card.

  • Family First Preference. Unmarried children, any age, of U.S. citizens.
  • Family Second Preference.
    • Spouses and unmarried children (under the age of 21) of green card holders; and
    • Unmarried sons and daughters of green card holders, who are at least 21 years old.

  • Family Third Preference. Married children of U.S. citizens.
  • Family Fourth Preference. Sisters and brothers of U.S. citizens. The U.S.
    citizen must be at least 21 years of age.

A sponsoring relative should first submit an immigrant visa petition, Petition for
Alien Relative. This form should be accompanied by proof of the relationship between
the sponsoring relative and the dependent foreign applicant.

In order to sponsor an applicant for lawful permanent residency, a sponsoring relative
must provide evidence of the following:

  • They are a United States citizen or a Lawful Permanent Resident of the U.S.
  • They can support the dependent relative at 125% above the mandated poverty line.
  • They must also establish proof of their relationship to the dependent relative.

For specific information on Family Based Sponsorship please contact us online or
call our law firm at (240) 390-0600.