Home » Employment Based » L-1 Visa

L-1 Visa – “Intra-company Transferee”

The L-1 visa allows companies operating both in the U.S. and abroad to transfer certain types of employees from its overseas office to the U.S. office for up to seven years. This visa comes in the following categories: L-1A – for executives and managers; and L-1B – for personnel with specialized knowledge.

Businesses that function both in the United States and in their home country gain the benefits of the best of both areas. The L-1 visa is open to international organizations with offices in the U.S. who transfer employees to the U.S. office for temporary periods of time. This visa is sometimes referred to as the ‘intra-company transferee’ visa.

To obtain an L-1 visa, you must be able to prove that you have worked for the non-U.S. company for at least one full year within the last three years as an executive, manager or employee with specialized knowledge. The L-1 visa enables the transfer of managers, executives and specialized knowledge personnel to a U.S. office, subsidiary or affiliated company.

Spouses and unmarried children under the age of 21 qualify for L2 status. Spouses may seek employment by filing form I-765. Children may attend school.

If you are interested in petitioning for an L1 visa, contact our law firm online or call us at (240) 390-0600